Thursday, July 12, 2007

why are you screwing around with my sm57...I like it!

No studio in the world or any sound contracting company would be caught dead without this microphone in their mic locker. The stable and reliable Shure SM57 and SM58 dynamic microphone. Ask all engineers any where, if they were stranded on the island with just one mic, I would bet you most of them will say the either the SM57 or the SM58.

The most I had ever seen in one studio is around 15 SM57's and the least is around 5's. So when Tab-Telefunken decide to make a new transformer to "mod" this beloved microphone, I went nut, why are they screwing around with my favorite microphone? After test driving one, I realized I could miss out on something here. What if you can turn that SM57 into a more expensive SM7 sound with more "meat" on the lo-end and roll a bit off the top? how much would you pay for one? How about just $180.00? I put the mod versions in front of a Bogner full cab and the guitar just screamed thick, mean, in your face guitar.


TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer features
The AMI T58 microphone output transformer was developed as a high resolution transformer upgrade for existing SM-57 or SM-58 microphones to give the same solid character without restricting upper mid and high end response.


  • Primary impedance: 15 to 25 Ohm
  • Primary inductance: 250 mH (120Hz) @ 1.5 Ohm
  • Step up ratio: 1 to 5
  • Secondary inductance: 5.4H (120Hz) @ 25 Ohm
  • Short impedance: 0.029mH
Enough said, I just send all of my SM57's (7) in for the Telefunken mod.
What can I say, I am a sucker when it come to proaudio gear mod.

Tran Duy


SPECIFICATIONS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only one mic at home and it is this one, aha...

Duyproaudio blog said...

I hope you did not pay too much for it?

Anonymous said...

He probably did! a new one here is $60.00

Anonymous said...

I paid 100$ for a new one.