Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Who will win the war?

HD-DVD vs. BLU-RAY

They both look 'real good', they both dreams of nerds every where, they both cost more than the regular one...to buy, to keep, and to maintain. Which one will win the war?

As right now the stands for both are sharing equal space at Fry's electronic, this remind me so much when CD first appear at Tower Record. It really interest me to watch this war like the one with Beta tape and VHS. It is matter of promotional and marketing strategy between the 2 formats.

I say HD-DVD because the possibility for directors to have more inputs with their comments, version, and in depth views of their movies. I had been wrong before so don't trust me on this matter. It also up to the manufacture of players, especially Sony. Sony can really change everything if they decide to flood the market with cheaper players but Blu-Ray is not giving up at all. Watch how Blu-Ray is aiming at the PC market by offering Blu-Ray players as standard for PC and laptop everywhere.

This war is nasty and I love to see, meanwhile, I am thinking about how to turn my DVD player into paper weight, absolutely no doubt about that. So find room in the recycling bin.

How do I know? well all of us audio engineers are scrambling to learn how to edit, to mix, and to format in HD-DVD audio right now. The race is on!

No comments: